Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Carolyn Braden: Try This Mexican Tomato Bean Soup


Try this quick and easy soup anytime! This is a recipe I found on www.meals.com a long time ago. I re-organized my homemade cookbook the other day and found it. I remember how good it was so I made it last night. It reminds me of a Mexican chili.

3 Cups tomato juice
1 Can (16 oz.) refried beans
16 Ounces Salsa (mild or get a spicy style to add a kick)
1 Cup water
1 Package (1.25 oz.) taco seasoning mix
1/2 Cup "Four Cheese Mexican Blend" shredded cheese

Combine juice, beans, salsa, water, and seasoning mix in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheese. Top with remaining cheese and garnish as desired.

I like to crumble tortilla chips into a bowl, ladle in some soup, and top with more cheese.  You could also try putting sour cream on top.  

No comments:

Post a Comment