Thursday, July 1, 2010

Carolyn Braden says "Who likes Brinner?" Blackberry French Toast Recipe

Tonight I will be making Brinner.  (Breakfast for dinner).   I know not everyone is a fan of Brinner, but my family is!  Here's a recipe from Southern Living magazine that is a favorite of mine.  It's called One-Dish Blackberry French Toast.  You can change it up, as I like to do to recipes sometimes.  My grandmother calls me "That kind of cook."  You know, the one that likes to throw things in and subtract things from recipes to see how it turns out.  For example, my husband doesn't like onions, so I'll usually omit them or subtract the amount from what the recipe calls for. Try making this with strawberry jam or another flavor if you wish.  I've made a few changes to the recipe that, I feel, have made it fool proof.

1 cup blackberry jam
1 (10.5-12 oz) French bread loaf, cut into 1 inch or smaller cubes
4 oz. of 1/3rd less fat cream cheese, cut or pinched (as I did to make it easier) into 1/2 inch cubes  (The recipe called for 8 oz. of cream cheese, but I felt the rich flavor of it made 8 oz. too much)
4 large eggs
2 cups half and half (I used fat free which I don't feel robbed the dish of flavor)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
Toppings, if you wish:  maple syrup (so yummy with this!), whipped cream, fresh fruit

1.  Cook jam in a small saucepan over med. heat 1-2 minutes until melted and smooth, stirring 1-2 times.

2. Place half of the bread cubes in bottom of a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish.  Top with cream cheese cubes and drizzle with melted jam.  Top with remaining bread cubes

3.  Whisk together eggs, half and half, cinnamon, and vanilla.  Pour over bread mixture.  Sprinkle with brown sugar.  Cover and chill 8-24 hours (One time I forgot I needed to chill this for some time before baking it.  I went ahead and cooked it anyways and it just a little longer to bake.  Set your timer and check on it after about 35 minutes and bake longer if needed).

4.  Bake at 325 degrees, covered for 20 minutes.   Uncover and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until bread is golden brown and mixture is set.  Serve with desired toppings.  

This will serve 8-10 people.  It is so easy and so yummy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment